How To Request a Reasonable Accommodation/Modification

Make requests for reasonable accommodations or modifications to your landlord in writing. See below for a sample letter.  Include a letter from your doctor or another service provider such as a caseworker. This letter from the service provider should state that you are disabled, describe the needed accommodation or modification, and state how the change will allow you equal enjoyment of your housing unit. If your landlord doesn't respond by the deadline stated in your letter, contact your state or local Fair Housing agency for assistance.

Sample Letter




Re:  Reasonable Accommodation for my disability


I live at [ADDRESS] in [UNIT NUMBER] and have lived there since [DATE].  I am a qualified individual with a disability, as defined by the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988.

Our building's rules state [XXX].  Because of my disability, I need the following accommodations: [LIST ACCOMMODATIONS].  A medical provider has prescribed this accommodation for my disability.  I would like to meet with you to discuss these and any other accommodations that will enable me to have an equal opportunity to live in and enjoy this residence.

Please let me know what, if any, additional information you need from my health care provider in order to better understand my disability and the limitations it imposes.

Under the Fair Housing Amendments Act, it is unlawful discrimination to deny a person with a disability a reasonable accommodation of an existing building rule or policy if such accommodation may be necessary to afford such person full enjoyment of the premises.

Please keep this request for accommodation confidential, as required by federal law.  Please contact me within the next ten days to discuss this important issue.  I look forward to your response and appreciate your attention to this matter.



Resident Name